Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Spread the Love

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

Before you start moaning and groaning about how you hate Valentine's day and how commercial it is or how you don't have a significant other anyways just hear me out. I used to be just like that and I know how you feel. But it doesn't have to be that way.

So what if Valentine's day is a commercial holiday? No one is forcing you to buy fancy chocolate or Hallmark cards with doily hearts on them. Regardless of all the stuff people buy for others for this holiday, Valentines day is ultimately about love. And that's something I can get behind.

You don't have to be cheesy to celebrate today. You don't have to hand out cards and flowers and chocolate to all the special people in your life. And you certainly don't have to sit around moping about how you're not in a relationship and have no one to share a fancy dinner with. That's not what it's all about. If anything, today is a day to  think about the people and things in your life that you really love and appreciate. Give your mom a call and wish her a happy V-day and tell her how much she means to you. Give your best friend a hug. Snuggle with your cat. Curl up on the couch and enjoy your favourite book.
Just focus on the positive.
That's what today, and everyday really, is about. Why not embrace it? I bet you'll feel much better about yourself and life in general if you throw out all those negative feelings towards Valentine's day that you've had pent up for however long.


But don't limit the love to your friends and family (and pets)!

Valentine's day is a great day to focus on yourself as well. Self-love is so important and something I don't think people indulge themselves in enough! Loving yourself isn't vain or narcissistic, it's a beautiful, freeing experience that can really improve your life. I know I sound like some kind of self-help manual, but I'm speaking from my own personal experience.

I hated myself for a long time and that hate built up in me and tainted my view of the world. Because of my self-loathing I also disliked other people (often for no reason) and I was constantly pessimistic. Honestly, I was no fun to be around. But recently I've gone through a transformation of sorts where I have learned to love my life, regardless of all the crap that's been in it. I look in the mirror and I don't hate what I see. I embrace every little scar. Even on my bad days I don't think I would change myself. I might say that I would, but when it comes down to it, I don't want to be anyone other than me.

And if that's not something to celebrate this Valentine's day then I don't know what is.

So love yourself, be your own valentine! Indulge in chocolate from yourself, pour yourself a glass of wine, pick out your own flowers and spend some quality time with you.
And if loving yourself is still a foreign concept, take a look at Gala Darling's 100 Ways You Can Start Loving Yourself. The woman is a real inspiration.

Love is a powerful force in the world and people shouldn't be afraid to let it into their lives. Commercial holiday or not, take the opportunity to appreciate your life, loved ones, and yourself.

Lady Unlaced




09 10