Pages

Saturday, September 15, 2012

My Book Recommendations Part 1

I like to read. Books are my solace and provide me windows into worlds I'd never have access to otherwise. Sounds cliche, I know, but everything they say about reading taking you to new places and expanding your mind is true. That's why they keep saying it.

Because of my love of books I decided to start posting some book recommendations. Just a few per post, with a book title, cover image and a brief summary, that kind of thing. I'm not saying you should go out and buy it and read it and love it. My taste is not for everyone, but at least it gives you something to think about when you're at the library next or just aren't sure what your next read should be.

And I won't make a post about Harry Potter (this was a difficult decision to make) because everyone knows about it and I'm sure you've all made up your mind on whether or not to read it or not and your opinion on it. Personally, I love it. So so so much. I think everyone should read it. But anyways...

First book!

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

I read this book in high school and absolutely loved it. It's definitely weird, so if you're into strange distopian fiction you might enjoy this.
SummaryA viral catastrophe has wiped out most of the human race, leaving genetically modified animals to roam the earth and Snowman struggling to survive. Through his flashbacks, we discover how he ended up alone in this dismal future, solely responsible for a strange tribe he calls the Crakers. (via Book Drum)

And secondly...

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

I could stop turning the pages of this book. Neil Gaiman never lets me down with his amazing writing and imaginative mind. Great character, well-developed setting and plot, and funny to boot. That is my kind of book for sure.

Summary: Richard Mayhew is a plain man with a good heart -- and an ordinary life that is changed forever on a day he stops to help a girl he finds bleeding on a London sidewalk. From that moment forward he is propelled into a world he never dreamed existed -- a dark subculture flourish in abandoned subway stations and sewer tunnels below the city -- a world far stranger and more dangerous than the only one he has ever known...Richard Mayhew is a young businessman with a good heart and a dull job. When he stops one day to help a girl he finds bleeding on a London sidewalk, his life is forever altered, for he finds himself propelled into an alternate reality that exists in a subterranean labyrinth of sewer canals and abandoned subway stations below the city. He has fallen through the cracks of reality and has landed somewhere different, somewhere that is Neverwhere. (via Amazon)

There you have it, two awesome books you should consider adding to your to-read list. Hopefully I can remember to make more of these posts. Remind me if I don't!

Lady Unlaced

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love, love, loved Neverwhere! Definitely one of my favourite Gaiman books <3 I look forward to more of these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll get around to oryx and crake one day. i enjyed her handmaid's tale, but not so much blind assassin.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I love hearing from my readers and your support means a lot to me!

09 10