Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

July 21st: The Devil's Carnival

This past Saturday my wonderful boyfriend Mike brought me and my other half into the Boston area to see The Devil's Carnival. The short film (part one of a to-come series!) was having it's encore tour and I was so glad I got the opportunity to go as I missed it the first time it came around. If you've never heard of The Devil's Carnival before, let me quickly explain.


The short film is only the beginning in a series about Heaven and Hell, written by Terrance Zdunich and directed by Darren Lynn Bousman who are the brains behind Repo! The Genetic Opera. You might also be familiar with Bousman's name from the Saw movies, which he also directed. Anyways, The Devil's Carnival is a musical about Hell (a carnival!) where Terrance Zdunich plays the Devil. It also features Paul Sorvino, Emilie Autumn, Sean Patrick Flannery, Alexa Vega, Ogre, Maggie Lally, Contessa, Dayton Callie, Briana Evigan, and more. Full Cast List Here.

Lost souls (sinners) enter the carnival only to be faced with the sins they have committed in their lives. The first installment of this series centers around 3 different individuals as they get caught in the carnival's web.

It's was a fantastic movie. The acting was great as were the sets and costumes and the music was unbelievable. It went above and beyond my expectations and I am so excited for another one. The show itself was great -we went to a theater in Brookline and waited to be let in. We were seated around midnight, watched some behind-the-scenes clips from the making of Repo, saw a showgirl act, watched a short video by Emilie Autumn about a contest they'd held, and then after the movie there was a Q&A with Terrance and Darren. And because Mike is awesome and bought the "Carnie" tickets all three of us also got free posters!

That's not the poster we got, I just like the picture, haha.

Before the movie we spent the day in and around Boston. We went to The Garment District (it was my first time going and I got some cool stuff; I can't wait to go back!) as well as ate an aaamazing dinner as Wagamama. I had the Yasai Cha Han and it was delicious! I love a good fried rice dish, especially when there's tofu involved. After dinner we headed to Brookline to hang out around there before we got in line at the theater. We went to a cute coffee shop where we chatted up one of the baristas and got come caffeine in us so we would stay awake and alert for the movie. My americano was delicious, black, and strong, just the way I like my coffee. 

After that we found a bookshop that didn't close until 11pm and browsed for awhile. Me and Sue were ecstatic when we discovered that their basement was filled with used books. Score! I love buying new books, but it's so much more expensive. I'll take the price of a used book over a new one any day. I managed to get a copy of #9 in the Sweep series and The Fledgling Handbook (House of Night series) for 12$ combined. Seriously awesome deal!

After that we hopped in line to wait for the movie, which as I said before was fantastic. If you get a chance to see it, do it! It's definitely worth the time and money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I love hearing from my readers and your support means a lot to me!

09 10