Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Wands in Magick + My Handmade Wand

No, not like a Harry Potter wand, although having one of those would be pretty awesome as well. Note to self: Make wand fit to attend Hogwarts with. I'm talking about the kind of wand that is used in many magickal paths. 

I've stated before that I follow no set tradition. My introduction to magick was through studying Wicca, but I take from so many other traditions and mesh them all together that calling myself Wiccan does not feel right. Anyways, the use of a wand was something I first read about in my Wicca books. The one I made recently is the first one I've ever had and I'm glad I created it with my own hands rather than buy one of the pretty ones I always see on etsy. I love the feeling of accomplishment that comes along with creating something yourself, especially when it's something so meaningful and personal.

Buy here.
Wands are used for directing energy. Many witches use them to cast circles, finding it to be a good vessel to direct the flow of energy to create a protective ring around them and their rite. A wand can be made out of anything -wood, metal, clay, stone, etc. The most important thing is that it resonates with the user. Quartz is common to see on wands because it is great for storing and releasing energy. 

My wand is made from a stick I found outside (wood unknown but the energy was great) with a quartz point  and a small tiger eye chip at the top. I painted most of it gold (a colour of power and the sun) with a silver (colour for divinity and the moon) wire accent. I painted an ankh on it and attached a feather I found on my doorstep, an evil eye bead and an amethyst bead. I feel that it truly encompasses who I am as a witch.





The pictures really don't do it justice. It's so incredibly pretty, I'm impressed with myself for making it to be honest. A lot of the times things I want to make always look really great in my head and then not so great in reality. But for this I just did what felt right and I couldn't be happier with the results.

Share your own witchy crafts with me?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I love hearing from my readers and your support means a lot to me!

09 10