Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Salt Dough DIY

I've been seeing this DIY all over Pinterest and I just had to give it a try. I'm kind of broke so I love any project that let's me make things for my jewelry without spending any money. 

With this DIY there are endless possibilities. I started simple and I definitely need some practice working with the dough, but I think this could be something I do regularly. I have a bunch of ideas floating around in my head of all the things I could make. But for now, here is what I did do.

Supplies
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup cold water

Preheat your oven to 250. Then, mix all the ingredients together and knead it until it becomes about the consistency of play-dough. The longer you knead, the smoother your dough will be.




Once you've done that you can tear off pieces and mold them into whatever you'd like. I made simple flat discs that I poked holes in so that I would be able to string them onto something. You can also try using a rolling pin to flatten the dough and then use cookie cutters to make shapes.

After you've got all your shapes, discs, and whatever else, place them on a cookie sheet and stick in the oven to dry out. This can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours. I recommend frequently checking on them until you're satisfied. Once they're done, take them out to cool. this doesn't seem to take too long.



Once your creations have cooled off, feel free to paint! Acrylics work best, and once the paint dries make sure to use a sealant to prevent chipping. Pretty cool, right?


Oh! And don't throw out that extra dough. Just seal it in an air tight container and you can use it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I love hearing from my readers and your support means a lot to me!

09 10